Sunday, September 06, 2009

Home Sweet Home Musings - Days 3 & 4 in Virginia

Next, we headed to Kilmarnock to visit with Dad, Nina and Elizabeth. I was so excited that I could hardly stand it. I've really missed them and couldn't wait to see them. I was also excited because we met up at the cottage in Reedville and I've been missing it so much. It's one of those places that in many ways defines me ... because of the amount of time that I've spent there in my life. I want my children to have the opportunity to know and love that place as much as me!  So, we met at the cottage and headed to the BEACH. Yes, after 12 months in the land locked city of St. Louis, I was finally at an actual beach. With sand. With waves. Ahhh. I just kept looking out, amazed to be there. Finally. I've missed this place and these people. It was a wonderful way to spend the day ...


 
  
  
  
  
Alex giving fishing a try. Daddy ALWAYS fishes when we go to the beach. Like father, like son.
  
I'm not entirely sure what happened to Meighan in Virginia but suddenly I found it impossible to get a good photo of her. Every single one involves her tongue sticking out. Sassy little bugger ...
  
  
  
My dad hung out at the beach with us ... which was wonderful!
  
  
  
  
  
  
My handsome hubby, fishing as always ...
  
  
  
Meighan had the best time just hanging with her Pop Pop. I think he has a fan in her ... she thinks he's the bee's knees ... she still talks about our time with him and how much she loves him. I'm glad she appreciates him ... she's lucky to have him. I wish I had more phots of Nina with the kids. They adore her and talk about her all the time. They really want to live in VA again so they can go on Pop Pops's boat with their Pop Pop and Nina!
  
Okay, yes, that is Alex with a stick in his mouth. He saw a dog fetch a stick and the next thing you know ... he was fetching a stick, pretending to be a dog. It was funny for about 10 minutes but he kept going and going and going (as he's prone to do), until it became less funny and more disturbing. lol
  
  
 
 
 
 
The girls went on a shell seeking hunt and found tons of shells to take home with them. Seeing them do this reminded me that I used to do that with Mimi - take long walks looking for shells and sea glass up and down the beach. Those were some of the best memories of my life. I miss her so much and visiting this place where I spent so much time with her just reminded me how sad I am that she's gone and how much I wish I could take another walk with her. 
  
  
  
  
In the year we've been gone, Dad and Nina have been working hard on their new home in Kilmarnock. It looks amazing!
  
  
 
 
  
And more photos of Meighan and her Pop Pop ... her being silly as always. 
  
  
  
This may be the most hilarious photo I've taken ... I love it!
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
It was difficult for me to get into the car and drive away at the end of our visit. It was so nice to see them and spend time catching up. If you're reading this, thank you again for having us. We had a wonderful time and will miss you so much!

No comments: