Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sunday Musings

I'm sorry that it's been so long since I updated the blog but I've had a busy (and difficult) week. There is a lot going on for us right now so I've been just trying to catch up and pull it together.

First, I wanted to say that today was the memorial service for my grandfather. It was very nice and everything went very well. My cousin, Eleanor Morgan, gave the eulogy and she did a great job. Made me cry but she did a wonderful job giving an overview of his life and what we all loved so much about him. I was able to contribute by putting the program together and I was so happy to do it! I'm really happy with how it turned out and everyone had good things to say about it. Here it is, in case you're interested.

This is the cover - Was my Papa not a VERY handsome man?!?!?

This was the inside cover -

This was the back cover -

I spent several days going through all the family photos and finding some of my favorites. (Note to self - I need to scan them all and begin working on my heritage album project!) It also included a schedule for the service and an insert of a paper that my cousin Taylor wrote about our grandfather in 2001. Very moving. I think it was a nice tribute to my Papa and reminded me how lucky I was to know him for so long. I'm going to miss him so much. He was a very honorable man who was one of the most principled, fun loving, and kind men I've ever known. He lived a long, wonderful life and accomplished so much for his family. I have to say that he was one of the best men I've ever known and I'm proud to be his granddaughter. I hope that I can make him proud and try to live my life as honorably as he did.

Okay, now onto other things that we have going on ... Paul is still struggling with the cyst on his neck - he's in so much pain and suffering quite a bit. He saw a surgeon earlier this week who said that it is badly infected and he didn't want to remove it until the infection is gone. He also felt that he needed to have it out in a surgical setting rather than in the office due to the location of the cyst on his neck. So, Paul's been taking antibiotics but they don't seem to be making the infection go away yet and he's getting frustrated. I hope he begins to feel better because I don't think he can take this level of pain for the two weeks between now and his scheduled surgery date. Poor guy! I think he's feeling pretty strongly that November 14th can't come quick enough so he can get that thing out of his neck!

I also wanted to show you a beautiful jewelry box that my grandmother gave me this week. It's a handcarved box made in Asia. A friend of hers sent it to her while he was in the service (I think she said his name was Joe - I need to get her to tell me the story again). Apparently, she only dated him a few times but he was very nice and thoughtful where my grandmother was concerned. When he was stationed in Asia during WW2, he sent her this beautiful jewelry box with her initials carved on the top. (quick note of interest - the initials are actually wrong because her name is Dorothy Evelyn Vass but he knew her as Evelyn which is what she went by so he sent it with her initials as Evelyn Dorothy Vass). She said that later he was killed while in a prison camp in the Phillipines. I love that she wanted me to have this beautiful jewelry box that has such a special history. Here are a few pictures of this special piece - it's one of my new favorite things!


Since it's been awhile, I'm also going to share a few pictures of the kids since they are constantly doing the most hilarious things! Meighan's new thing is making faces - usually a mean face, funny face, mean face, funny face combo. So funny. Here are a few with her mean faces, funny faces. So hilarious!!! (Ignore the spagetti sauce all over her face - she was entertaining us during our dinner)



And here is Alex, trying to brush the little bit of hair on his head. He's practically bald but he decides to give it a shot anyway!

And I have to share this picture of Megs - she decided yesterday that she loved her pumpkin costume so much that she wanted to wear it ALL DAY! She even wore it during her lunch! So funny. By the way, she was not happy with me in this picture - I'm sure I'd just said no and she was mad.


They are just the most hilarious, curious, busy babies that I've ever met. I just can't get enough of them (until, of course, I've had enough and need a break - hey, I'm human!) They never cease to amaze me - Alex is moments away from actually being able to open a door knob - he's already figured out how to unlock the back door. Soon, we'll have to figure out another way to keep him in! They are also facinated with books which I am totally loving!!! Except when I've read the same book 40 times in a row and then I wish I had a few bookless minutes. But, here's a picture of Paul reading a book to Megs. This is their current favorite book - one of the Baby Einstein books about the animals on the farm. You can see from the picture that its well worn from almost constant reading lately. They love finding the various animals on the page and learning all of the animal sounds. So fun!


Okay, that's it for me tonight. I need to get some laundry done and some dishes washed. I'm WAY behind on my usual chores. Days behind, in fact. And I have a ton of CT work to get working on. I just need to get back on track and focused. More soon. Thanks for bearing with me during my very LONG post!

No comments: