Saturday, July 12, 2008

Saturday Musings

Happy Saturday! Things are going well here in St. Louis - we're getting adjusted to our new home and trying to figure it all out! But, overall, things are going really well. I think we all actually really like St. Louis. It's very different from Richmond and yet in many ways there are similarities.

What do I like about St. Louis?

I love my job and being in the same place as my team. Getting to know them by working side by side, day by day, is great. (Did I tell you that I was selected as our group's Employee of the Month for June? Itwas really nice to be recognized, especially after working so hard these last few months.) I like that the food in the building at work is good and inexpensive compared to the ickiness that was the cafe in Richmond! I like that there are so many different neighborhoods here, all with their own character! It's nice to be able to have so many options in terms of what we do and where we go. The people here are some of the nicest that I've ever encountered. It's different than the southern hospitality that I'm used to - a more downhome niceness that is refreshing. I like that there are all the places I'm used to in terms of shopping - Target, Wal-Mart, TJ Maxx, Dress Barn, etc. and yet a ton of new places for me to explore like Hobby Lobby, Schnucks, Dierbergs, etc. I love having such a great zoo right down the street. I love that so many of the 'family' attractions are FREE here. I love that there are so many possibilities. I love having so many options.

What am I less than thrilled about with St. Louis?
Suprisingly, there are very few things on this list for me. I am not crazy about the traffic. Being so much bigger than Richmond, the traffic here can be annoying. It took me 30 minutes to go what should have taken me just 10 minutes because there are SO many people trying to get places. That can be annoying. And the construction on 64/40 doesn't make it any easier. But, I'll adjust and get used to it, I'm sure. The ever changing weather here is also taking some getting used to ... one minute its sunny and beautiful, the next it's raining and storming. You have to be ready for anything here lol. I need to stash umbrella's all over the place now. Note to self: buy more umbrellas. The hardest part is not really knowing anyone and not seeing my mom every week. That's been really hard. I miss knowing that she's just down the street if I need her. The worst is being so far from Sami. We always hated being 4 hours from her but 12 has been even more challenging! We miss her so much but we're excited that she's coming for a nice long visit soon! We can't wait! I'll also be happier when we're in our own place which I can begin making a home for us. And then we can line up daycare for the kids and get settled into our own community. That will be nice.

But, for the most part, we're really enjoying our new city and trying to take advantage of all it offers.

I have a few pages to share today so enjoy :) - I've been doing a lot of square pages lately, they've just been speaking to me so I'm going with it!












No comments: